Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dsquared Rocks Men's S/S 09 Fashion Week: Milan

As Milan's Mens Fashion Week came to a close, I realized that I didn't properly cover this season. However after reviewing the tapes of the shows I remember why I hesitated. I wanted to see what the designers would do in terms of choosing their models in the wake of the controversy over the tokenism on the runways. I really hoped that we were turning a chapter here. Especially since Vogue Italia decided to highlight a need for change and diversification in the form of their All-Black Issue. But much to my dismay, there was still such a lack of ethnic diversity on the runway. Most designers completely ignored the criticism altogether and used the same general pattern, with no black faces.

I do have to say though that Dsquared², my favorite designer duo, really took diversity to heart using mostly black models in the show. Hats off to creators Dean and Dan Caten.